Monday, May 3, 2010

Hollenbeck Spring Classic

Race report for May 2 Hollenbeck Classic, Virgil, NY

Glad I made it to Virgil New York this past weekend for the Hollenbeck Spring Classic RR. My attempts at the podium in '09 were thwarted by the well organized, strong Stevens girls who got the 3 top spots and I the 4th place. Even though I wasn't going to have any team mates with me I needed to go back and race Hollenbeck again. It's a nice race-2 long laps, beautiful countryside, a couple good climbs, decent roads, very little traffic and great cookies at the end!
I almost didn't make it as I got stopped at the border and questioned inside at immigration. I have a U.S. work VISA in my passport that for the 1st time made it difficult getting into the country! I finally convinced them I was not going there to work and was eventually back on the road.

Race morning was beautiful! Hot and sunny! The other girls mentioned how relieved they were to see I had no team mates with me. They all remember the wrath of Stevens Racing last year!! This year the race was one of attrition. The 1st climb was at a good hard pace and lost half the girls. There were a few half hearted attacks but nothing significant. The pace stayed quite high the 1st lap and I did my best not to pull. The 2nd time up the main climb Cynthia Wilson (Ride with Rendall) got away! Exactly what Sue did last year in about the same spot! We crested the climb and proceeded to chase her down. We got quite close but it was at this time that a few of the other girls stopped pulling thru. There was lots of yelling going on but nobody would go to the front. Some simply couldn't, others wouldn't! The pace slowed significantly and alas Cynthia time trialled to the end. Up the 2nd climb 'The Wall' I could tell who was starting to suffer. A Bethel girl who pushed the pace the 1st lap especially on the climbs was hurting and I knew she probably wouldn't be a threat. I felt pretty confident that when we made the right turn and the road went up to the finish that I would be in 2nd place. The road tilted up and all of a sudden I was alone. Nice.

Little cool down, a gigantic cookie and a long drive home with my $15.
-- Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment