Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Asleep at the wheel(s)

July 11 - Buckwallow MTB O-Cup #5
Another fun weekend on the mountain bike. As normal, I felt like a complete tool on the bike during pre-ride. I guess that is what happens when you don't ride your mountain bike on a regular basis. Fiddling with tire pressure, balancing on the bike, remembering to lift the front end up and over things--the small things. Always great to run into familiar faces and catch up. Two laps pre-ridden; time to relax and check out the local scene. We travelled on Friday night to catch up with Rob's mom and Vern for the weekend. After a nice dinner, took in some dock time watching the locals fish (no wait, that was Rob Kerr and his family!) plus a little spin around the go-cart race track at Santa's Village. How fun.

Lots of restless sleeping for me the past week. The heat must have been getting to me - strange dreams for a week.


Time to race. Smaller than normal fields for the start as the many of the top riders were out West for a Canada Cup and Nationals coming up July 17. Ten on the line I think. The two Sues were there - I lined up in betweent them. First time on the front of the start this year (I'm usually right off the back). Fast right off the start for a 5 mins flat road-like stretch to the first set of single track. Fell back one spot. Lots of roots (lots!), rocks and bumps and virtually no climbing makes for a rough ride. Fell back one more spot down a tres bumpy descent putting me in 5th where I would end up staying for the rest of the race. Into lap two I sort of forgot I was racing! Second and third lap snoozing at the wheel thinking of all sorts of things--other than bike races (might have contributed the shoulder-check I tried to give to a really solid tree - we both remained upright but the backpack on the shoulder commuting this week has been a tad uncomfortable). Made up for it all with a stellar forth lap. The effort just came a little too late. Oh well. Had fun anyway.

Rachel made the treck up to spectate (photo courtesy of one of her friends) and provided an awesome cheering section. Vern was a super star in the feedzone--and I put him to the test taking a bottle every lap (a first for me). Rob was first to Barnes in his race.

Usual convoy back to Ottawa. A few weeks to get ready for the next one. Best ride the mountain bike a bit :-) --T
ricia K.

No comments:

Post a Comment